Wiltshire Venison Ragu
1 carrots small diced
1 stick celery small diced
1 onion small diced
2 sprigs rosemary
2 sprigs thyme
100g pancetta lardons
1. Dice the venison into 1cm cubes and seal in a hot pan until golden on all edges. Remove from the pan and put to the side.
2. In the same pan, add the pancetta and fry for 2-3 minutes.
3. Now add the diced vegetables - this is called 'Soffritto' in Italian.
4. Now add the thyme and rosemary.
5. Add the venison back in.
6. Give it a good stir and fold in the passatta.
7. Cover with a lid and simmer until the meat flakes apart in around 30-45 minutes.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Fold it through your choice of hot pasta and garnish with fresh grated parmesan.
This recipe was created by Adam Hart, Head Chef at The Kitchen, Chewton Glen Hotel and Spa.
“I love using local products and am very proud of where I live and love to showcase this in my dishes. We are lucky here to have the sea one side of us for fresh fish, sea weeds and sea vegetables, the other side of us is the New Forest which is packed full of local producers, not only do you get to know the product but the people and personalities behind them." - Adam, Chewton Glen Hotel and Spa.